Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Razor Scooter


"Please let me know if your son or daughter would like a free Razor Scooter in good condition. I want to help a needy family. Blessing"



Yet another Free Stuff poster who wants to feel very good about him/herself as the garage is cleaned out. Perhaps the poster is trying to straighten out karma, "My Name is Earl"-style, after winning this scooter while running a three-card-monty scam on neighborhood children.

In any event, I'm pretty sure any "needy family" that can afford the internet access required to view your post can swing the $15 a used Razor Scooter* costs. I'm also pretty sure that most people have a tiny smidgen of pride and won't appreciate being called "needy" nor be particularly anxious to represent themselves as such.

"Hi, this is Stephen, I'm calling about the scooter. Yes, yes, I am indeed needy. Your scooter will make all the difference in the life of my needy child, Jesse. Yes, it will be a blessing. In fact, I think it's fair to say that little Jesse finally being able to scoot is a miracle of unparalleled proportions! You know what? I'd say thank you, but that's really not enough. What's your name again? We have another baby on the way and I think it would be appropriate to name it after you. I have to run it by my wife, but if I know Marge, she'll want to give the kid your last name, too! I'm driving in from Vacaville, I'll be there in about an hour."


*Have you noticed the strange persistence of the Razor Scooter? You couldn't go outside without tripping over one ten years ago, but it turns out not to have been only a passing fad. I still see kids on them regularly around here.

No comments: