Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Box of 1.44 drives








"I have a box of tested and working floppy drives"


Now, I'm no technician, but to test a floppy drive to see if it's working, I think you need one of these:




There aren't many around these days, so I have to say, I'm impressed.






". . . that I had planned to use when rebuilding machines."

Back in 1989, before the accident? You've awakened in a miraculous future, my friend. We have telephones without cords!

"I don't need them anymore."

That makes one of us - I sure as hell do! I look forward to supercharging my Commodore 64 and getting it up to 34.56 megs by setting all 24 of those puppies in series. No more going to the library to post this stuff, I can do it from home (though I suppose it will take a few hours to load the Blogger page). I'm also excited to read that paper I wrote in high school about Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sounds of Silence," and to see the birthday card I made for my brother in Paint Shop, with that graffito-style text and a sketch of a pig. "You stink! Just kidding! Happy Birthday!"

"These are great for donation to help someone who is interested in repairing or building computers."

Folks, there's nothing more important in technology than to get a solid grounding in the basics. You've got to walk before you can run, and I'm not interested in what you have to say about the new 45 nanometer chips operating at 3.20 gigahertz unless I know you can make this thing subtract 2 from 4:













When you're done, get started with that Sinclair kit, and then, just maybe, we'll let you spark up the floppies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“Spark up the floppies” sounds dirty.