Thursday, April 3, 2008

Leaves


"I HAVE LEAVES YOU CAN HAVE FOR YOUR MULCHING NEEDS. . . . IVE DONE THE HARDEST WORK BUT CANT CONTINUE FOR PICKUP DO TO BACK SPASMS. I DO HAVE SPEARS STICKING OUT OF MY SPINE. IF YOU NEED THESE LEAVES AND CAN HELP ME BY REMOVING THEM IT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED."


Let it not be said that I lack compassion. I feel for this poster, with the spears sticking out of his spine. If I were him, I wouldn't want to rake my yard, either.

Nonetheless, this brings to mind a clumsy version of Tom Sawyer, who, in "Huck Finn" convinces other youngsters in the neighborhood not only to do his chores, but to pay him for the privilege. While there was brilliance to Tom's approach, this is too transparent to be much more than sadly optimistic. It's a bit too easy to see that the post's true, if unwritten title is not "Free Leaves," but "Please Come Rake My Yard."

You never know what someone may want, however, so when my four acre lawn next needs a good mow, I will be sure to post "Free Blades of Grass. You Collect." I suspect it will get more page views than a comparable post in the "volunteers" section.

--


Thanks to amblus for the tip.


No comments: