Saturday, March 29, 2008

Pink Chairs

In the early 1980's, a design collective was born. It was based in Italy, but included participants from around the world. It is referred to as "Memphis," and it produced some of the most astonishingly ugly, impractical, and harshly-colored furniture ever imagineered. The man who really got it going was Ettore Sottsass. He was responsible for such crimes against humanity as this . . . I don't know what it is. Other than infuriating. The light bulb is a nice touch though, don't you think?



You may not believe me, but things like this go for tens of thousands of dollars at furniture auctions. They are considered "important." There are people whose job it is to call hideous things "important." They are paid for a very simple skill - keeping a straight face against all possible odds.

Imagine your delight, then, that you can find a pair of chairs like this, on Craigslist, for free:




They feature the unappealing shapes and embarrassing color schemes of "Memphis" furniture, but combine them with the designer's obvious fondness for the insect kingdom. A sort of Memphis Ant chair.

If you snap them up before I do, be sure to contact Sotheby's, tell them they were designed by Aldo Cibic (they'll know who that is), and wait for the money to roll right in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rather think those chairs have an insouciant Beetlejuice-esque charm. Not that I want them in my home --- goodness, no. They'd creep into my bedroom in the night and embed their eggsacs in my slumbering flesh.

But they're still kinda purty.